Sunday, February 26, 2006

27.2.06
School starts tomorrow, and what can I say but bring it on! We have had a very busy weekend to cap off a busy first week. So what have I been up to since the last time I updated? That is a good question.

Plzen- beer tour, it was pretty cool to see the way that European brewer creates their beer as compared to an American brewery say,...I dunno Budweiser. Just before I left the states I went on the Budweiser tour and was pretty impressed at how much of a craft creating the golden beverage was. However when I came to Plzen and saw their process and the history behind the process I was even more impressed. We toured the different tanks that held varying stages of the brewing process and then toured the corridors bellow the earth that in the past held hand crafted barrels of beer that could hold a small nation. After walking throughout the many cellars like corridors we can to the most anticipated part of the tour. The Tasting. The sampling at Pilsner-Urquell is very different from Budweiser in that, we got unfiltered, unpastuerized, straight from a wooden barrels keg beer. A man stood at the end of a long arched corridor with his hand on a spout that was puncturing the wooden barrel. We all marched down the corridor with our cups in hand ready to sample the raw brew. It tasted pretty much the same as the bottled version, but then again I’m no expert, just a mere admirer. After the tour we headed to the beer garden for lunch, and it was wonderful. I had a Czech goulush, with 3 different kinds of Czech dumplings. It was grrrrrrrreat! I was stuffed! We continued our tour of Plzen by walking to the Cathedral there Of St. Bartholomew. It had a large bell tower which was open for people to climb to the top. Not a single one of us hesitated to journey to the top, but as the stone steps turned to steep, almost vertical steps, the crowd began to slow and the burn in the legs started to set in. Thank goodness I ran like crazy over break, my legs were in good shape to take the climb. I made it to the top and my legs didn't feel like Jell-O, I think that was the real victory. Once at the top we took out scenic pictures and climbed back down. Soon we were on the bus headed for home.


copper brew tanks


what heaven must look like for homer simpson



yeah climbed to the top of that sucker

a view from the top

stained glass window

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home