Sunday, April 09, 2006

Once again I find myself sitting here on a Sunday afternoon, getting ready to do some work for Monday’s studio. And once again I find myself procrastinating to the eth-degree. But hey they always say "it's the thought that counts."





This weekend was all about wandering around the city and trying to do new things...
We tried to visit the old Jewish cemetery, however since it was Saturday... it was closed...way to remember the Jewish Sabbath is Saturday. But we made up for that small mistake by visiting the Easter festival that is held here in Prague every year [kind of ironic]. Tons of small wooden booths are set up in the main squares. Selling anything from small beer steins decorated with images of Prague to glass encased single cigarettes with a small hammer, proclaiming in Czech “Break in case of emergency.” Mackenzie and I came to the conclusion that these booths sell mainly three things, painted eggs, food, or souvenirs. But wanting to make sure we didn't miss anything we walked down every row and left no booth un-observed. The smells of the festival were amazing; they reminded me of the Green tree festival at home. Where the scent of roasting hot dogs and slow cooking ribs fill the air with their savory temptation. Here it is the sweet smells of all the pastries that fill you lungs and make your mouth water like some Pavlovian Dog. And with almost no thought you could find yourself standing in line for some baked goodie rolled in cinnamon and sugar or for a sweet little ball of gelato which is available in a multitude of fresh fruit flavors all of which look irresistible. But constringent is the name of the game, I just try to remember, smells are always free.


easter fest 2006...

p.s there is someone always making out in my pictures,

the czechs can't keep thier hands off each other, uuuggggh!!



Also this weekend the flat mates and I visited Petřín hill. We set off thinking that the climb to the top of this hill wouldn’t be so bad; after all it’s only a hill. Ha Ha. The walk started off as a meandering path through a nice green park. Then out of nowhere the incline of the hill became intense, with a path no longer made of gently sloping concrete paths but rather steps, and loads of steps. When we finally reached the top of the hill we headed toward the tower, paid our 40 ck and started the vertical climb. This tower is a small replica of the Eiffel tower and while it might be only 60 meters high, because of the naturally high elevation, the observation deck of the Czech version matches the exact height of the French version. Interesting. So, 299 steps later, which felt more like 2,999 steps, we had reached the second observation platform.

From here we could see the entire city, even our dorm and the architecture building. It was a crisp clear day that allowed us to see the outer edges of the city we are calling home. From up here I could understand why they call Prague the city of 1000 spires. Every where I looked i could see hundereds of timy spires reaching for the sky.

After the walk up and down the tower, my legs were a little shaky, not for sure if it was because they were tired or scared of the drop to bellow, but they were sure glad to be at the bottom of the hill again.

[view looking down]

the tower!

stairs going down...all the way down

book sculpture we found in the Prague Lib.



looking inside the book tower

Next week I will be in Berlin on Easter Sunday, so I will do my best to post before I leave and then again when I come back. I hope all is well with all of you, and thanks for reading my blog, my mom relays me messages all the time, so thank very much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home