Tuesday, March 14, 2006







The weekend update:

This weekend was full of snowy fun! We traveled nearly three hours by bus to the Krkonoše Mountains, located in northeast Bohemia between the Czech Republic and Poland. As we approached the area it was a pretty flat landscape, and suddenly appearing out of nowhere the mountains came into view. There seemed to be maybe four to six feet of snow already on the ground and throughout the weekend there was a constant sprinkling of flurries. Sometimes these flurries turned into a down pour of massive snow flakes, creating a fresh few inches of powder on top of the already massive amounts of snow. On Friday we were equipped with skis and let loose on the hillside for the “night ski” session. I, having never skied before, opted not to risk my life trying to learn how to ski in the dark. On Saturday morning we suited up after breakfast and headed off to the slopes. I soon found my self on the ski lift being carried over the heads of skilled skiers below. At this point I asked myself “What in God’s name have you gotten yourself into this time?!” With panic in my heart and in my mind I decided it was do or die trying. After exiting the lift I made my way to the first blue run available. My skis slid over the snow with ease and my legs quickly became aware of the motions they would have to master if I wanted to steer my body away from any obstacles, like trees or small children. On that first run I fell, I’m not going to lie; I fell more than a few times. As I would be hurtling down the mountain I would just bail out, for fear that I would loose control and possibly get hurt even worse. All in all I don’t think I did too bad even a few people I was with, who had been skiing quite a bit before, said that I was doing great for a first timer. Apparently I had my turning down pretty quickly. This reassurance gave me some confidence and the mental strength to go again down a longer, maybe more complicated run. I gained more confidence with each run I took; even if%2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home