Thursday, September 14, 2006

Lately i have been working, slowly but surely on some studio work. Our first project of the semester is a pavilion and concert stage for the Manhattan City Park. Consisting of seating for 3,800 people, a moveable ice rink, picnic benches galore, and an administration building. The main constringent for the project is that it must MUST consist of a fabric, woven, masted, or cable networked structure. So pretty much there is nothing usual about this project. So far i have come up with a concept, but it is really weak, so weak i don't even want to tell you since it will most likely change along with my design. I am not finding much guidance form my professor, or much help from any of the discussions that we have had concerning my project. I can't say that she has provided significant input to help me understand what steps to take next. It is pretty frustrating right now considering that in years past i have unbelievably talented professors that have offered me some of the best guidance and suggestions for not just my one project but for all ideas concerning architecture, helping me to see what the true possibilities for design can hold.
But for now i am putting that aside and trying to catch up with all the reading that has been assigned to me over the past few weeks. All of the readings for studio, project programming, and history are becoming a bit overdone. For project programming we have been assigned a few articles that are so abstract that i can't even begin to tell you what the main point is. This week the article discussed displacement and how architecture is related to food, frontinality, and infra-thin. I think by the end of this 15 page adventure i kind of got the gist of what the author was trying to communicate but overall i think i would have faired better if i had some great abstract thinker by my side explaining what each paragraph was trying to portray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home