Sunday, October 22, 2006

[this is long over due]

Remembering.

Memories of my childhood are scarcely recounted without mentioning two wonderful people in my life. Two people, whom knew me since before my birth, saw me off to school until I was in second grade, taught me how to spell [didn’t stick to well], eat oat bran, and sat me on the steps for the one or more occasions I broke the rules [wink wink].

Bunty and Popsie were more than just babysitters they were family, a third set of grandparents and an integral part of my childhood. Every morning I would ride with my sister over to their house and sit at the round oak table for breakfast and sing blessings like Johnny Apple seed. Every weekday was filled with different actives like climbing trees, fishing, coloring and stretching our imaginations to its furthest. We learned so much and received so much love and joy from them that it is impossible to convey with any in depth description or explanation just how much they changed and influenced my life.

Two years ago we lost Bunty after a long hard battle against cancer. She was a strong woman and gave me the only idea I had of what a grandmother was all about. It was then that I realized that despite seeming as if they could go on for ever, that they were mortal and that life was not eternal.

Not to long ago, about the same time I was finishing my first project, I heard that Popsie was diagnosed with bone cancer. At 81, he had faced many heath problems before but always seemed to overcome them with great strength. However this time was different. Not even a week had past when I heard the news and planned a trip to home to attend the funeral with my family.

As we drove the two hours to Columbia, MO memories filled my head, and a feeling of loss filled my heart. Soon my family was recounting stories of times spent with Popsie. Most of which sounded like this… “Remember when we…. And then Laura was sent to sit on the steps.”

Kenneth “Chick” Hartwig one of the most caring, gentle spirit I know. I am incredibly happy that I had him in my life. He taught me to try, try, try again, to use my imagination to its fullest, to fish, to love nature, and to always play fair. These and many more lessons I carry with me today.
I miss you and love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home