Thursday, November 16, 2006

Growing older somehow snuck up on me the other day. It all started on Monday afternoon. Shauni was doing crits for a random studio, so our studio was left to be productive on our own. As i was working on my water coloring [ doesn't sound too productive does it..no worries it wasn't] Professor McNamara visited me at my drafting desk.

Now i had professor McNamara for one semester last year during our big construction document phase, so naturally i thought he was stopping by to say hello. However he instead asked me to serve as a critic for his second year students who working on designing a home for Ms. Uruguay.

With a little hesitation i agreed to crit for the second half of the studio. Luckily it wasn't just me, but also a friend of mine in studio was asked to do crits as well. After McNamara left, Troy and I began to talk about how weird it was to be on the other side of the fence. To have to listen to a student talk about their work and try to follow long as they explain.

When Wednesday arrived i found my way to the crit room and stood their awkwardly in front of the class as McNamara introduced me to what seemed to be a sea of youngsters. Suddenly my interpretation of people only three-four years younger became this amazement at how IT bitty they looked. So young, bright eyed and little. It was amazing to see how much energy they had how much excitement and enthusiasm they had for their designs.
I soon flashed back to when i was a second year and how i was the same way. Everything was exciting and everything was brilliant, i thought i was clever.... my how things have changed. I had so much energy for school, i couldn't wait for the upcoming years. Now i think to myself do i have the energy to go through that again? Hardly. Don't get me wrong school is ok and i enjoy architecture, i love to draw, to think and create, i love the challenge but i am ready to get paid for it.

Troy and i did our best to give our advice and show our design skills by offering up some great advice. Despite the fact we ran a little dry on some of the projects,but hey it happens. I think overall those kids did a great job on their presentations, and i am so glad that they didn't seem intimidated by either troy or me. i guess that means that we don't seem all that old or full of great and powerful wisdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home