Monday, May 15, 2006

It is offical I have hit a wall, preverbal wall that is. It all started when I brought my level of procrastination to a new level. Higher than it has ever been before, it is now starting to catch up with me, but let’s face it we all work harder when the heat is on. Famous last words “It will get done, it hast to, it always does.” Lately I have been drawing like mad in CAD [computer aided drafting] which, let’s face it STINKS….
While it has been sunny outside the past couple of days I have been sitting in front of my laptop using my tiny mouse drawing floor plans and building sections. Basking in the glow of my computer screen might not give me skin cancer but being out in the sun is a lot more relaxing. Seriously who has ever said “wow I need to relax, you can find me in front of my computer,”….I can think of no one.
I guess I could explain what is going on so you aren’t completely lost. Well I have one more studio presentation before the big, final, scary one. In this one we display our building scheme as in reality with drafted floor plans, sections, elevations, and site plans, etc. Then after giving a short speech about my building I get told how much they love my building [ha-ha] or how much they despise it and how my triangle and scale are being confiscated. Also while I prepare for this presentation I have a paper due, so somewhere in this little brain of mine I have to find 2000-4000 words to write about Czech culture. Not too bad but I think that makes it a 5-8 page paper? After that I have to turn in three drawings I have been working on somewhat, and today I turned in my lovely computer graphics poster [one down].
Also a few friends are coming this week to visit, and boy oh boy would I love to spend some time with them. So a very tricky and complicated situation ahead of me but since I am a high school grad I’m sure I can make it work.
But lets get to the real story….Venice
I think we were in Venice from the 3rd-5th of May

a palladian building there in the background, San Giorgio Maggigore


We arrive on the train from Venice on the afternoon of the 3rd and headed straight to our hostel to once again drop our bags and start to explore the island city. We didn’t stay on the islands instead we stayed on the main land, since it is way cheaper! We took the train to the small northwestern island and began to walk. We quickly found that the map, and I think any map for that matter, was completely useless. The city was literally a living labyrinth. Some of the streets weren’t marked and narrow enough to fit two persons through. But eventually we found our way through the maze like streets to Piazza San Marco. We wasted no time in jumping an elevator to the top of the campanile where we got a spectacular view of the city just before sunset. During our couple of days in Venice we were able to see St. Marks, San Giorgio Maggiore, Palazzo Ducal and Santa Maria della Salute amongst many other historical and beautiful buildings.

st. marks


Also during my stay I picked up a few interesting tid-bits about the city. During the 800’s some Venetians went to Egypt and stole the body of St. Mark and the Basilica was built in honor of St. Mark (the new patron saint of the city). And since the symbol associated with St. Mark is the lion, it too became a symbol for the city.

Santa Maria della Salute [somewhere back there]


Among the city streets were tons of shops and carts selling anything from elaborate carnival masks that were beyond description, to Venetian glass [murano]. The beautiful hand blown glass sparkled in every window and the only thin holding me back was the fact there would be no way to bring it home in one piece.

view of Doges palace and the bell tower (which fell down in the 1900's and rebuilt with an elevator)
After our sort stay in Venice we headed back to Rome where we spent the night and took it easy ready to board out plane back to Prague. After 10 days of travel I was ready to get back to home base, where I could take all my stuff out of my bag and leave it strewn all across my room (if I wanted) and not worry about packing it all up the next day.

bells in the bell tower

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home